To tone down the spice, use Mies Original Breading in place of Mies Spicy Cornmeal Breading.
- 1 Large Egg, Slightly Beaten
- 1 Small Onion, Chopped
- ½ Tsp. Baking Soda
- ¾ Cup Self-Rising Cornmeal
- ½ Cup Self-Rising Flour
- ¾ Cup MIES SPICY CORNMEAL BREADING (Or Your MIES BREADING of Choice)
- ½ Tsp. Salt
- Pinch of Sugar
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- Oil for Deep Frying
- Preheat oil to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, mix baking soda, cornmeal, flour, MIES BREADING, salt, and sugar.
- In a small bowl, stir buttermilk, onion, and egg together.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredient bowl. Mix until blended.
- Drop the batter, 1 teaspoon at a time, into the oil.
- Carefully turn the hush puppies during the cooking process.
- Deep fry until golden brown.